Wednesday, September 29, 2010

School days: Reasons to embrace the coming school year

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, kiddies, but your days are numbered.
Of summer, that is.
There are only 22 precious days left before it’s back to a life dictated by ringing bells.
After a summer of hanging out with friends, swimming and riding bikes, (or, more accurately, tweetering with friends and playing Xbox) it’s always difficult to get back into the grind of homework and tests.
But don’t feel discouraged, kiddies. Going back to school isn’t all bad.
Here are a couple of reasons to feel grateful about the end of summer:

YOU GOT THE SUMMER OFF

No duh, you say.
But what I’m getting at is: savor it, kiddies, because summer vacations end when you hit the real world.
Unless you become a teacher or a snowmobile repair man, they become a glorious thing of the past.
There’s no losing track of time because you haven’t had to be anywhere for weeks.
There’s no waking up and having that nice feeling that you have no clue what to do the rest of the day.
No, during a grown-up summer, you just do what you do the rest of the year: work.
Which is kind of a scam. Why everyone doesn’t get a summer vacation is beyond me. We could have invented a better situation than this. It must be that Puritan work ethic.
I say protest! Revolt!
So, kiddies, be thankful you’re starting school again for the year, and not just carrying on throughout the summer.

FIRST DAY EXCITEMENT

When I was a lad I would never admit it, but I was always brimming with excitement and anticipation for the first day of school.
I’d have my “E.T.” t-shirt, corduroy pants and Nikes set out on a chair the night before, the only time the entire school year I’d be so fussy and lay out my wardrobe.
My mom would always take a picture of my brother and I. Looking at the pictures now, the most noticeable thing is that the older we got, the more amount of hair gel we used.
I never slept the night before. I was too excited.
What would my teacher be like? Would my friends be in my class? Would there be any new kids at the school? What had everyone done over the summer?
Mostly, though, I was kept up all night with one burning thought: Would I get to sit next to Kathleen Brunson?
And if Kathleen wasn’t game, who would I ask to “go” with me that year.
So, kiddies, be excited that after a summer of hanging out with all your friends of the same sex, school once again puts you in contact with the other.

BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING

If you’re like how I used to be in my younger and more vulnerable days, you’ve probably been bumming around all summer in the same few pair of raggedy shorts and t-shirts.
Starting a new school year is prime time to get mom and dad to open up their wallets and get you some new duds.
Shopping for fall clothes is even something that’s fun for people like me who hate going to the mall.
My mom would take me to Fashion Square Mall in Saginaw. It would be a day of trying on new pants, shirts and shoes.
When it was over, I always had a nice ensemble for the first day.
After all, I had to look good for Kathleen Brunson.

No comments:

Post a Comment