Thursday, June 30, 2011

Shaking in my (hiking) boots

This morning, as you are undoubtedly snuggled comfy in your bed, I am taking to the forest.
That's right, I've quit the modern comforts of life (for the next three days, at least) and will be roughing it as my backpacking brethren and I walk clear across the whole county.
This morning, we start at the Marilla Trailhead of the North Country Trail. By Monday, we hope to be moseying into town.
But between the beginning and end of the trip, who knows what will happen.
The woods are full of mystery.
And there's always something about the mysterious that arouses fear.
This is one of the reasons why men and women go off into the woods, away from the safety of lights and the comfort of human voices.
It's always good to confront the mystery head on and contemplate the insoluble, existential quandary of our earthly purpose. This is best done in solitude, with nothing but quiet, the trail ahead of you and woods around you.
Then there are the other more baseless fears, namely bears and bank robbers.
Let's start with bears.
For the past week, my brother and our friend have been studiously planning the trip. The subject of bears came up. My brother and our friend asked if they should be prepared.
"Nah," I said. "We should be all right. I don't hear much about bear."
Soon after, as I was driving to Brethren to cover a school board meeting, I was headed east on the Coates Highway when I spotted something black and moving on the crest of a hill.
The bear lumbered slowly across the road without any fear and into the woods.
Now, I've always contended that I could easily take a bear in a wrestling match — as long as you removed their teeth and claws. Until that happens, I will respect their space. I warned the fellas, and the proper precautions have been taken.
But I can't promise the thought of a black bear with a taste for human blood charging me while I amble along the trail won't be far from my thoughts.
The very next day after seeing the bear, there was a bank robbery in Wellston. The crook ditched his getaway car in the national forest. Knowing that the woods was the last place some desperate, armed criminal was seen is unsettling to someone who will soon spend three days in that same national forest.
But my resolve is strong. I will walk the county despite any petty, unreasonable fears.
And you can follow me. I'll be posting updates about how it's going on Facebook and on Twitter throughout our journey. Next week, I’ll also be writing a series of stories about the trip for the print and web edition.
Check it out.
And wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment