Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Deer camp diaries: Get your camp featured in the newspaper

Deer hunting is a grand part of our state’s outdoor traditions.
No where is this more evident than right here in Manistee County.
The frenzy starts in the weeks leading up to that grand day, Nov. 15.
Pick-up trucks seem to cruise through town with a little more zip. After the opener, blaze orange garments are a common fashion accessory on the streets and at the diners.
“Get yer buck?” becomes the most frequent overheard question.
But, most importantly, mid-November is the time for that annual, singular event on a man’s schedule: deer camp.
The doors and windows of the cabin are thrust open to air the place out. Generators are fired up. Twenty-year-old dirty magazines are pulled off a dusty shelf and spread on old coffee tables. A giant pot of chili is set to simmer on the stove range. Someone gets a blazing fire going. Beers are cracked and alarms are set for 4:30 a.m.
It’s deer camp time.
Now, don’t think I’m dissing you ladies. I’m sure camps all over the state have their female representatives. But, when it comes down to it, from what I know, deer camp’s a dude-heavy affair, what with all the bragging and flatulence.
For years, I’ve felt like I was missing out on this.
I’ve passed up many opportunities to go with the many buddies of mine who do deer hunt, though I’ve heard all of their illustrious deer camp stories.
You see, I didn’t grow up deer hunting. I go after grouse and woodcock, which means that when the firearm season starts, I put up my gun and stay as far away from the woods as I can until the season is over.
To be honest, my knowledge of deer hunting is pretty scant.
But I want you to teach me, Manistee.
I have a proposition for all of you. Let me come to your deer camp. Let’s have a beer and tell me your camp’s background and the stories that go along with it.
Don’t worry: I always follow a strict BYOB policy, so you won’t have to hide your coolers.
Also, don’t be afraid that some of the stories you have might not be suitable for a general audience. While I’ve never done deer camp, I have done similar camps for birds, trout and salmon.
I know when discretion is needed.
Last year, I spent a day at the Chisler’s Lodge deer camp, which has a 70-year history.
Those fellows had some wonderful stories to tell, and I had a great time being a part of their camp, if only for a day.
If you do want to get your deer camp’s story in the paper, all I’m asking in return is that you show a bird hunter the ins and outs of deer hunting.
I’m also aware of the amount of hazing and teasing there will be involved with a 33-year-old man going out on his first deer hunt when many of you have been doing it since you were 12.
I can handle most of this. But, if anyone tells me that the best way to attract the bucks is by running through the woods in my brown pajamas with a pair of fake antlers on my head, I’m not falling for it.
I’m looking to spend time at Manistee County deer camps from Nov. 15 -- 20.
You will then be featured in the series, “Dear Camp Diaries,” which will run soon after that.
If you’re interested, feel free to give me a call at (231) 398-3109 or email me at jcounts@pioneergroup.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment